Reference Services Policy
Welcome to the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Library and Archives. The Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Library and Archives provides access to rare books, manuscripts, and artifacts while preserving them for future generations. To facilitate both access and preservation, we have implemented the following policies:
1. Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Library and Archives materials are often fragile or are housed in a specific way. Therefore, the items in Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Library and Archives are in a closed stacks environment, and must be retrieved by the Archivist.
2. Patrons are invited to make a reference appointment with the Archivist. This will help us maintain the security of the collection and also prepare for reference interactions ahead of time (which might require visiting our off-site storage facility to retrieve requested items).
If you have a specific research interest, please email the Archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 469-399-5220.
3. Library and Archives patrons must check in at the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum front desk. Front desk personnel will call the Archivist and he or she will escort patrons and set them up with requested materials. The Archivist will be available to pull more materials and conduct reference photocopying and scanning as per the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Photocopy and Scan Policy.
4. To protect the materials in the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum Library and Archives, patrons may bring only pencils, loose leaf paper, laptops and/or scanning equipment (including cameras and necessary attachments). Patrons may be asked to store their purse or large bag in a secure area, separate from research materials.
5. Patrons should fill out a basic informational form, available here.
6. Researchers must cite all materials they use in publications. Please include the full name of the collection or item and of the Museum, for example:
Collection. Accession 1988.1.19. Box , File .
Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum.
300 N. Houston St
Dallas, TX 75202
An accidental mark with a pen is forever – use pencils only.
Remove one folder at a time from a box.
When looking through a folder, do not remove individual items from their original order.
Do not trace over manuscripts or apply pressure onto manuscript or rare book materials.
Do not leave books open and upside down, this can do irreparable damage to the spine.
Felicia Williamson, MLIS, CA